Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Free Gardening Apps for Your Lowcountry Garden

Spring is upon us which means it’s time to start your garden if you haven't already. I love home grown fruits and veggies because I know there are not any harmful pesticides involved in the growing process. I always have an array of potted herbs on the porch which I use on a regular basis. Last year we started a small garden which included okra, corn, cucumbers, squash, peppers, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes. My most productive plant was my okra which is wonderful because it is one of my favorites.  This year I’m doing things on a smaller scale…smaller as in fewer varieties of plants. I definitely want to plant okra, tomatoes and squash. These seem to be what we consume most in the summer months. Now I just have to come up with a way to keep the deer out of the garden. I’m happy to share our grass with them but not the veggies.
In my garden researching, I came across a few free gardening apps. I’m working with them and trying to figure out which one works the best. I’ll keep you posted. Let me know if you have come across an app that has worked well for you.
 This gardening app provides advice on gardening tips, crops and techniques for planting.
This is a nice app that will find your location and tell you what is good to grow in your area and when to start growing. Once you pick a specific fruit or vegetable, it will tell give you planting and growing information, when to harvest and extra tips. It will also identify a problem you may be having with your crops. This one may be my favorite.
This app will help you choose which fruits and vegetables to grow.  It will give you a brief introduction to the plant, size and space needed, level of care, when to plant, and when to harvest.  It will also address some common problems. I personally wish this app had more plants in their selection.
I hope you will find this information helpful. I am relatively new to gardening so any tips you may have are welcomed.
The Richardson Group has been selling Hilton Head real estate and Bluffton Real Estate since 1956. Currently, our agents share 150 years of local residency, along with a deep commitment to the people and places that make the area unique. We have two different locations, one in Hilton Head and the other in Bluffton. We specialize in helping you find homes for sale inHilton Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment